Looking through all 14 ( !)pages of this thread got me to thinking----- I can reall on time (sorry if it's a re-post, I didn't see it) I had built a 396-powered '65 Goat for a friend. The car was complete but I told him he HAD TO havve a scattershield before he actually raced. Anyway, after a couple of weeks he calls me & says he put the finishing touches on the car & would I like to go for a test-drive with him. I meet him at his house, we go up to Francis Lewis Blvd. & proceed to beat on the car a bit. OOOOOOOOOOH it ran well--too well actually, as on the 3rd launch there's this huge "bang" & my feet get catapaulted off the floorboards. He pulls the car over, crawls under it & starts cursing over blowing the clutch & breaking U-joints. Then he gats REAL worked up as he now says his bellhousing is in 3 pieces! I jump out, crawl underneath & sure enough, he had never installed a scattershield! . I start cursing & swearing at him over it, asking him WHY he didn't bother getting one.
"My Dad wouldn't give me the money!" was his (lame) excuse so while waiting for his Dad to flat-tow us home, I continued "lecturing" him on his stupidity.
In the end, Dad anted up the money for not just the shield but better headers & a tunnelram ! That was a cool car but coming from money he eventually got himself a gorgeous LS6 Chevelle. THAT was a special car!