I had a 1968 Fleetwood Brougham back in the mideighties. I bought it from the original owner with about 60K miles on it. Loved the car.

Drove it for a year or so when the cam gear plastic teeth exited the gear at about 75 mph. Valves hit pistons when the chain slipped and pretty much made a mess out of the sweet factory 472 engine.

A buddy had a slew of late 60s and early 70s Cadillacs. I contacted him and told him of my dilemma. He said he had just the thing to cure my problem and showed me a wrecked '70 ElDorado with - as I recall - about 18K miles.

In 1970, Cadillac's ElDorado debuted its only HP version of their 500 CID engine [that's 8.2 liter, for those who speak metric]. It made 400 HP with 550 Ft Lbs torque. Had 10: 1 compression and a 4.3 X 4.3 bore X stroke. It was a beast. It went in my Fleetwood.

My best friend had a 68 Buick GS 400. He and I wound up side by side, one day shortly after the engine swap, as I was headed home. We were first at a traffic light. I rolled the window down and said "let's see what they'll do!" When the light turned green, that Caddy really surprised both of us. I, thereafter, had lots of fun with it. 'Nuff said.

6513131-1968Fleetwood.jpg (219 downloads)