Quote:

I remember when I discovered newsgroups when joining the Net, there was a good "room" with some old street racers. One of them was a guy named "Preacher" from the LA area. I think car guys who lived in LA in the 1970s were in heaven, so I'd love to hear some of the stories if anyone here fits that description.

"Preacher", I haven't heard that name in about 30 years......I used to street race in the LA area from the mid-70's until the early-80's. We used to hang out at Bob's Big Boy in Westchester and raced on Pershing Dr (at the west end of LAX's runways). Some nights there would be hundreds of people lining both sides of the Drive and big money would go down.

Some people had 'interesting' names, there was "Preacher", dirty ED, Camelot, Tarkus.....Big Willy even came down once or twice and he'd bring a pretty good sized crowd of friends with him.

I don't remember any cars being trailered to the races and a lot of tires would get switched in the parking lot (street tires for slicks). Headers would be uncorked. Fun times. Most cars were sleepers, most of the guys wouldn't pop their hoods, but you could tell by the sound of the motor what end of the C.I. spectrum the motor was.

Last edited by Robert1050; 11/09/09 03:10 AM.