Here is a fond memory of 1969 that you youngsters might enjoy. Back then there were 3 of us that drove bowties as we hadn't graduated to the REAL muscle cars of the day, well actually my best friend owned the Chevelle but I turned the wrenches and we were pretty much joined at the hip.

Rumor had it that there was a guy that hung out at the northside TeePee that claimed to be beating every car on the street, he had a big block Mustang.

The 3 (4) of us decide to see if this guy was willing to put his money where his mouth was and race all 3 (4) of us for $25 a race. That was big money for us back then as we were just out of high school.

Jim Meeks had a Nova and the first time I saw his car I thought "Dude, why did you buy a Grandma's car". This thing was a TRUE sleeper, when you opened the hood it looked like a stock 283 with the factory air cleaner, factory valve covers, etc. etc. His engine compartment was totally unimpressive. Actually it was a 327 stroker motor that was extrememly quick. Small dog dish hubcaps on painted steel wheels, bench seat, no radio but it was a 4 speed.

Denny Grissom has just bought a '69 Chevelle, 427 4 speed car and it was drop dead georgous. Think we put 456's in it but could have been 410's but the car was quick regardless.

My buddies car was a '65 Chevelle, 327 4 speed, tunnel ram, headers, big cam and 456's.

We cruise the TeePee one friday night, find the guy and ask if he's up for racing all of us. Well the guy had a reputation to uphold so of course he said yes so we headed for a section of Interstate 65 that was still under construction. The deal was after all 3 races were run we'd settle up on the money.

Mustang draws the new Chevelle first and Denny takes him out. Mustang draws our '65 Chevelle for the second race and we take him out. That leaves the last race to Jim Meeks with Grandma's car. He beat that Mustang so bad that the guy just kept going so none of us got any money. However, we ended the bragging rights of that Mustang owner and I think that was what a lot of street racing was about: bragging rights and not so much about the money which I think hasn't changed over the years.

Did we ever loose some races? Yep. Did we ever blow up engines and transmissions and rear ends? Yep. Would I like to go back and relive those days? ABSOLUTELY!