We street raced alot. There were a lot of neat cars in my town and no drag strip. We didn't race just anywhere, we would take it out of town somewhere, block off the road and race. I remember a few times the police would be on patrol and come through the mayhem. There were so many of us the cops would just drive through, no way 2 or 3 cops could control more than 100 young guys racing.
A few serious cars would get trailered out but a few guys would just leave the slicks in the trunk and put them on and open up the headers when they arrived.
Oftentimes you would be having a burger at the Dogn Suds or A&W and some loudmouth would show up and you'd end up driving out of town and running. I enjoyed racing most with my 67 GTX that looked stock and would generally take down the guys with tunnel rams and big tires. My factory Pink Challenger was fun too with a strong 440 and later a well tuned Hemi.
The scene started tapering off around 1975 and just got worse and worse, everyone seemed to lose their balls to be honest. People started to conform to all the rules and started families and things got boring.
Nowadays there's too many people, too much traffic and Street racing is stupid especially if there is a track available. I still think street racing is less harmful to society than drugs, corporate greed and beating the heck out of the wife is though.

Sheldon