Quote:

How bout some more racing stories guys and gals????

Okay, here's how a high-dollar race typically got pulled off.
My buddy that owned "Competition Speed" had lost a few grand the weekend before & needed/wanted to recoup. He put "feelers" out during the week & found a guy with a nice Modified Production Camaro willing to run. The race was slated for the Van Wyck near the World's Fair Marina on a Saturday night around 3:00 A.M. The money for the teams was allegedly 5k but side bets & all pushed it up to somewhere near 10. Those that knew showed up at the Marina but the crowd was so big the cops showed up & alot of people scattered. Knowing one of the racers, I managed to hide & stuck around while they re-negoitiated the race.
The money would be the same (5k) but they'd run on the Cross Island. My friend's flat-towing his car, while the M/P car is on a trailer. I start to follow but somehow get seperated from the group, so I'm a little late getting there. As I'm nearing the race site I see a ton of people gathering along the side of the road. I step-up the pace not far from where everyone is I see a police car on an overpass. I hustle down to the site to warn my friend the cops are nearby & to find somewhere else. I pull up to the site, park my car & just as I do both cars are warming their tires, the starter is stepping up & it looks like it's "on". Just then about 4 cop cars rush in , lights on & all that & one of them works his way through the crowd, trying to get up to the racecars. He manages to pull in front of the M/P car & as he does my friend takes off, hoping none of the other cops chase him. The M/P car gets seized, some the spectators get stopped & cited for various things (obstructing traffic, equip. violations, etc.) I rush back to my car like everyone else &as I get to my car I hear: "Hey [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]! Next time I'll write you up for speeding!" I look around & there's a Hwy Patrol cop glaring at me. Those of you from NYC back then know their uniforms made them look like Gestapo, so I figure he's gonna screw with me awhile & see where that goes. I play dumb & ask him if that was him on the overpass. He says "Yeah" so I ask him how fast I was going. He accused me of doing 120, which I seriously doubt, but at that point I wasn't going to argue. He let me go, ticket free, and I left without doing or saying anything more.
The following Monday I went to the speed shop & learned what happened. My friend got away, the M/P car got impounded & the driver booked. All the "backers" got away and except for some tickets handed out the only real loser that night was the driver & owner of the M/P car.