I remember the last time I raced and acted invincible, I took My girlfriend out to eat at the local burger joint, she had also brought her best friend Judy along. Anyway, we were eating and a guy came over and joined us.
Well, MY girlfriend started paying attention to this guy instead of Me..so I looked over at Judy and asked her, if she wanted to go for a drive.
We got up and left together.
Anyway, I had this old Dodge pickup 1971 4x4 4 speed, with a 440 in it.
Nothing really special and certainly not a race vehicle by any means, although it did have headers a Holley street dominator intake and a .509 cam, with a holley 780 carb.
Anyhow, as we left, this guy comes out with my girlfriend, and they both get into his Olds cutless, I have no idea what it had in it.
So they are going to follow us everywhere right?
Well, we head out to the freeway and this guy tries to pass us, all the while they both are pointing and laughing at Me and Judy...
I punch the throttle and take off leaving them WAY behind, as soon as they start to catch up I turn off my lights so they cant see us anymore.
There was an on-ramp coming up, where cars enter the freeway, on the right side. Instead of us going another 5 miles to the next exit, I get the idea to just go down this onramp, in the wrong direction, lights off, to lose them for good! Well, in the dark, its kind of hard to judge speed...and its going to be about a 180 degree turn. Olus I didnt want them to see any brake lights.
We took that corner sliding sideways and shot up the bank on the other side of the onramp and back down to the on-ramp heading in the direction, we wanted to go, Judy is hanging on for dear life, not saying a word!
After we knew we were all in one piece, we both looked at each other and started laughing !
We went back to the burger joint to wait for My girlfriend and that guy. Some 20 minutes later, they showed up wondering how the heck we lost them! We never told them.
The next day, I went out to look at the rubber skid marks and seen that when we took off up the bank, off the road, we went perfectly between a sign post and a steel reflector post. Like a big upside down "U" shape. We didnt even see them!
I never have turned a car or truck that hard ever again and at such a speed. Not on dry pavement anyway !
Not really a street racing story, but still they were wild times! One of many.