I have another true account of street racing in my cuda 440 also.
I had parked my demon 340 gss in my dad's back yard because I needed a new clutch, and was mostly driving my 70'cuda 440 around as my daily driver.
It has a stock 440 four barrel with 3.23 gears and 727.
It is a true cuda 440, and I had been getting into a few street races and it ran respectable for having 3.23's in the rear.
I had let my dad drive it all the way from Ann Arbor to Lansing, Mi and back once and he came home with a big grin on his face and simply said that my car ran really strong and left it at that!

I was out on a saturday morning with my brother (he has an original 68' hemi charger, then and now) And we had the window's down the get some air as my cuda did not have a/c.
I was in the right lane at a stoplight just off of the U of M campus and a dark blue 71 gto 455 pulled up next to us.
As we went thru the downtown stoplights and was each heading west I heard him shift and realized he was a 4 speed.
At the main street stoplight and jackson rd. interchange he made it known he wanted to race me and as my brother and I checked and seen no cop's I told my brother I was going for it.
The light changed and I was gone and the gto was with me all thru 1st, but as I bumped my shifter into second and I started to pull a fender and then slapping my car into third I was still ahead and he was a ways behind me.
We got caught at the light before the interstate and he gave me a thumbs up and turned away and we went the opposite direction and when we got home was still talking about it as we walked in the house.
My dad asked who did we race and we told him about the "dark blue 71 gto with the white 455 decals on it"
Dad laughed and described the car better than we had, and then he told us about the day he borrowed my car to go to Lansing and back...
I recalled how he said on the way back he meet this "dark blue gto 455" on the interstate and that they both got into some "really spirited driving" and dad described how the gto was trying to keep up with dad in my cuda and he was tired of seeing the gto in his mirrors, so he stomped on it and opened my 440 up and let it build speed and he remembered going thru 120 mph with ease and that dad soon had my cuda's speedometer pegged and was figuring he was really going about 155 mph or so..
He said that several times the gto would try to pass him up when dad slowed down, But that the gto just did not have the motor to be doing this speed and my cuda did.
So in his eyes he was impressed with how my cuda handled at speed up high and that he had just beat this gto several times at freeway speeds..
We was each certain it was the same car as we never seen another in the area that looked the same as this one.
I seen it at the A&W getting a rootbeer with my girlfriend, and noticed his was as stock as my cuda was and he asked ,"if it was me on the interstate driving that day?" and I had to tell him that it was my dad that day.
Grant Eaton 386-561-1181

Owner of Original collector and restored original mopars from Mr Norms Grand Spaulding Dodge.