Oct/Nov 1966...'WOODSTOCK' of drag racing for this area. Local guy working in Akron, Ohio, had just taken delivery of new Satelite 2+2, Street Hemi 4 speed. Got it at Aikey. Arlen Vanke was shop manager at time as story goes. He was coming home for the weekend and everybody wanted a piece of him. Word traveled to all the drive-ins and bars that 'it was on'. Another local guy that worked in Michigan just also happened to be coming in with his new Camaro,,,427 4 speed from one of the dealers up there. Don't remember if Nickey/Scoggins or just what dealer, but it was real. Another local, had a '64 Buick GS 4 speed that had kicked everyone's butt. The cars from all over showed up...'65 Comet 289 2 4bl 4 speed STRAIGHT AXLE, '65 Impala bigblock 4speed, numerous GTO. I imagine at least 100 cars counting spectators and all. The Buick continued to kick butt except the Camaro. Races lasted for better than 1 1/2 hour before the cops showed up. The guy with the Impala got caught as he tried to flee the red lights but was not familiar with the back roads in the area and drove down my friend's driveway to a dead end thinking it was a road! There was frost on the grass that night. The next morning when I went through the area, you could see the footprints in the frosty grass wher people had ran when the stateys showed up. This story is a legend in my area. I wasn't racing then. I was a senior in highschool. I have made many passes down that road/strip in years gone by though. In fact, I used to keep my '62 Savoy Max Wedge(clone) in the garage on the dead end drive where the guy got caught. Those were the days. They will never be again.

If you like drag racing, support your local track.