Quote:

So I am a young guy (funny to say that since I am 30) but Street Racing has been pretty much out of vogue in my driving days.

I love reading this stuff, because it makes me think about the nights when I was a kid standing around the shop with my dad and his buddies and they would be telling stories like this.

I just want to make a note about "idiot" kids today racing in town and "why the HECK dont they just go out in the country like we did???" from older guys like my dad, and most of you guys.

And without making excuses for them, because alot really are idiots, but the whole "going out in the country" part is pracically nonexistant anymore.

Back in the 60s and 70s you guys could go find a perfectly straight road in the middle of nowhere less than 5 miles out of town! Now adays, it takes dang near 30 minutes to just get out of a normal sized town, and then just TRY and find an empty road!

It all depends on the crowd, i grew up around street racing and ill always be around it. I hang out with alot of the older guys that i met in highschool and they all build and street race old cars. We have a few roads that are always vacant with a start line and another line at exactly 1320 ft. Its common to still find open headers, slicks, a bottle in the trunk and some good old VHT traction compound. I dont street race but i enjoy watching it. Not all kids are dumb about street racing, some of us still do it like the old days

Thanks for sharing all of the stories, it makes me wish i was around back then for all of it.