Quote:

I have to say you guys are lucky to have been around back then. I was down at south ave. a few weeks ago to watch some people run. I was the only muscle car there, along with two hondas and two nissans. I decided to run and the two "built" cars lost by a few car lengths, and the other two wouldn't run me. Would have been nice to run another old car.

You have to remember the era---it wasn't all fun & games. Our cars were just our transportation for the most part & alot of guys spent almost every dime they had on their ride ( I guess that hasn't changed much) but the technology & access to good parts & guys that really knew how to put 'em together wasn't as easy to come by as it is today. Plus you had the threat of being drafted or hoping for a student deferment, among other social problems. These were just literally escape vehicles so we could have a little fun & forget about this kinda crap. A few years ago some guy wrote an article with pics about NYC streetracing & I thought it was all pretty accurate although he I'm sure he has some pics somewhere of the real "pros" of streetracing.
But on a happier note--there WERE ALOT more speed shops around & they were always a good place to hang out & get the latest rumors/info on some of the better set-ups, hang-outs & pending high-dollar races.....