Quote:

I hate to sound "high-handed", but despite Detroit being THE "motor city", and SoCal the birthplace of hotrodding, NYC was THE place to be back then. If the cars didn't draw you in, the sheer number of cars & frequency of streetracing would & the personalities involved could get strange.
Somehow though, I suspect the guys down South have some stories they don't wanna own up to. Seeing how it was the birthplace of matchracing, some their rides & races have to be interesting. BUT in true streetracer fashion they don't want to "give up" anything---which is our loss..

Hemicop, yes as TRUE streetracers they DO NOT want to "give up" the "meat" of their stories.
They may "tease" your appettite with giving you a
couple of side dishes (good matches weekly with "slightly" modified "street" rides), but the "main course" or "meat" would be a "heavy" race with either a local (neighborhood) vs. visitor (out of towner) type run, "super street" cars, one shot deal-heads up. Or, a inter borough
rivalry of "multiple runs", in "hot" street cars, running for bragging rites. The "heavy" (no pun
intended - God bless and R.I.P. Rufus) runners,
moved off the street, went to the track and stayed
there, or passed on, or gotten away from it as they aged!! There may be a FEW still doing their thing but in incognito, due to crowds and police factors. Also the major changes in routes, highways and expressways, narrowed the chances of
having good "escape routes". All in all, TRUE streetracing HAS gone underground!!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)