Quote:

Quote:

Street racing...yup. I did some of that......

Wanna share a story with some of the young pups that are reading these posts? I think they enjoy hearing about our little racing habits of yesteryear.

OK, so one night I'm supposed to race Scotty Guadagno and his bottle Buick 225 with this Hemi Challenger that I used to drive for a guy named Stan. Super Stock Hemi, 14x32's, stick car.
So, I make a couple of warm up passes on South Ave...spit the driveshaft out on the first run, fixed it, and then grenade the trans just about 10 minutes before we're supposed to run.
So Scotty shows up with his car, and a big old Ford pick-up...his shop truck/support vehicle...and I'm standing there with no race car.
But..we were there to race and nothing was gonna stop us. My buddy Neil was there with his girlfriends brand new Nissan Sentra. After a few minutes of negotiation we decide to run the Sentra heads up against the truck.
So, We line up, go...and a quarter mile later, we go across the stripe DEAD even. Way too close to call without electronics. So, we decide to go again...and again, the same result. Now it's tme for a little strategy. Back in "the pits", Scotty and his crew are pulling hunks of wood, and tools and parts out of the pick-up. In the meantime, Niel and I are yanking the spare, backseat and floormats out of the Nissan. Again we go, AGAIN, it's a dead heat.
Back to the pits...the ashtray, the contents of the glove compartment, the washer bottle...anything we can yank out of the car is now piled on the side of the road...Scotty and his crew have the same thing going on across the road. Again, we run and again it's dead even, BUT, this time, I felt we had just the slightest hair of an advantage the first few feet of the run..we were close to having the edge.
Time to get drastic. We found a few more trinkets to add to the pile, as did Scotty's guys. At the last second, I decide to pull out all the stops. Scotty is in the truck waiting for me to line up..I motion for him to wait a minute while I take a leak. I stepped out into the weeds, drained my bladder, and then took off all my clothes and tossed them on the pile. I jumped in the car, lined up, and off we went. At the end of the quarter, we had it by half a bumper..VICTORY at LAST!
Lemme tell ya. I street raced NYC 7 nights a week everywhere and in everything you can imagine, but that one night with the truck and the borrowed car was the tightest, most fun racing I think I ever had.