Quote:

Was around 1986 we had several areas around town we used to cruise to and hang out. Was cruising through North Towne Mall one night alone. As I idled through the parking lot in my stock lime green 70 Coronet R/T these 2 guys stopped me and asked if I would be interested in "running" my car against thiers? (I was 16 at the time and this was my first car and had never street raced a day in my life!) I said ok where? They took me out Riverside aways to a point where 4 lanes turned into 2.

They stopped in a local church parking lot and explained what to do...they said when the stop light turns red get up there and when it turns green go! So I did as they said. As we approached the red light they stopped for a second and began to power brake the car which at the time I had no idea why but assumed to warm the tires. As I watched the smoke roll off the back of the car I thought to myself oh my god that car was going to beat me very bad. Well I then thought maybe I should power brake my car and warm up the good old F70's...so I did. We got to the red light. Sitting at the red light I was nervous and had the shakes due to adreneline. Not knowing much about racing at that point I left the car in "Drive" and let it shift itself. The light turned green and we were off! I got a small jump on them...the car shifted into 2nd and I pulled a little more ahead...hit drive and was just plain leaving them behind! I won my first race...WOW!

We met back at the North Towne Mall. They asked if I would give them another chance? I agreed. The driver of the car said his friend was going to drive this time. Before we headed out again they started letting air out of the rear tires on their car. So back out to the lights by the church aagin...got up to the light...warmed up the F70's again...left the car in "Drive" again. The light turned green and it was the same thing all over again...I had won my second race in the same night! I was now hooked!!

We met back at the mall. They asked what do you have in that thing? I said a stock 440 Magnum. The one guy said to the other "I Knew It!". Could we look at it? I popped the hood and there it was...Dual snorkle air cleaner...AFB carb...cast iron intake...stock exhaust manifolds. I asked to look at theirs and kind of reluctantly they agreed. Wow it was spotless...and looked pretty with gold valve covers and gold air cleaner (MOROSO), Holley carb. I asked what motor it was...they paused and gave me a funny look. It's a 350 they told me...then paused and gave me a funny look. I said well it sure is nice and I left.

Now here comes the best part of the story. A few years later I was at a cruise night in another city with my dad in his 71 Cuda. These 2 guys approached me and said "Didn't you use to own a lime green superbee or something like that?" I said yea. They asked do you remember us? I said not right off hand. They said we raced you a few years ago...we had that Gold colored Olds 442. Then I remembered. Then they said "I guess it is ok to tell you now that it actually had a 454 in an oldsmobile" they said "We had a lot of time and money in that motor and when you beat us twice we were kinda upset at the time". "We couldnt believe you didn't know what motor it was and you were looking right at it!

I was 16 and just a kid at the time! We talked for a little bit and got a big laugh out of the whole thing!

The innocence of youth...way to go!! Great tale.