Quote:

I never saw the racing on the Clear view, but have seen many photos from the haunt.
Now that we are talking street haunts in NYC. I just came upon the idea how some spots died and sprung up in others. I call them the "bleed over" spots. Though some spots may have been operational at the same time, as one of the two died off or became too hot, the other flourished.

As a disclaimer, I could be wrong on my assumptions, but please feel free to argue the point.

Lets see,
150th as we know it today is probably a bleed over from South Conduit Ave and Linden Blvd haunt which than moved over to the just finished portion of the Nassau.
As 150th gave its last performance, the new extension of the Nassau is a bleed over from 150th.

Columbia st. or Red hook on the pier is a bleed over from the First Avenue and 25th St crowd.

In the early 80's, Fountain Ave took in all the refugee crazies from Columbia St. and Kent Ave.

The "Connecting" bled over to Laurel Hill and Laurel hill bled over to the Masbeth Avenue then trickling down over to Review Ave by the other grave yard haunt.

The Gowanus Expway at 86th St. in Bay ridge bled over to 3rd Ave under the El, hence converging with the spill over of the 1st ave crowd. Two crowds in limbo I guess.

Francis Lewis by the high school and the L.I.E is a bleed over from the Clearview/Francis Lew crowd by Union Turnpike.
In the Bronx I think the "Hutch" stands alone and has no relatives.
The Hunts point market strip may be a bleed over from the Sheridan Expway.

The FDR elevated by the South St Seaport is alone and unknown to most. I saw it first hand as a kid in the early 70's.

South Ave on Staten Island is a bleed over from the 440 West shore expway.

The junkyard dogs of Shea stadium and the 21 Hump St. are the bleed overs of the elevated Marina and Grand Central Pkway racers.
My home and mind is a bleed over from all of the above. LOL.

Lee, You are CORRECT!! 100%. You have
just listed HALF of MY MAP!! In College Point
they used to race over on 20 ave, by the old Flushing Airport in the 70's-1980. College Point
Blvd (north of Northern Blvd) in spurts 80's-90's
Might of handled the "spillover" from the Whitestone Expwy during it's REconstruction. If they were BRAVE, some ran the Interboro (now known
as "Jackie Robinson Parkway) westbound into Brooklyn, just past the Vermont St. Exit. At one
time "hyped slalom" imports used to roam the WHOLE stretch of the road into the Grand Central
Parkway/Van Wyck Expwy Junction ("Spaghetti Bowl").Their favorite part was the "Esses", or
commomly known as "Snake Road". This is where they
would put their car OR bike through a series of twisting turns and SHARP right and left-hand turns
bordered by miles of cemeteries. In it's earlier days, (times of the wooden guardrails) these curves used to be ultra sharp and kinda narrow
(speed was 20 mph or less, I think-70's), now the
curves are a lot more roomy and not nearly AS sharp. The speed is about 30-35 mph now and they redid the roadway several times since then and put up "Jersey Barriers" (concrete guardrails 4ft high). The imports and bikes speed through at about 40-50 mph and hit the straight sections at 65-75 mph. Sort of like a piece of a road course!!
Another oldie, but goodie was the "Cross Island
Parkway", particularly the section by Creedmore
Hospital, Hilllside Av to Grand Central Parkway in
early 70's. An alternate site was the Conduit (north)/Laurelton Parkway westbound to just past the LIRR bridge (early to mid 70's)

Last edited by HYPER8oSoNic; 07/22/10 11:34 PM.

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)