Quote:

It seems there are a lot of NYers remembering the good old days, here. Well, just for y'all, here's a video. Hope you like it...even some racing in the snow!!

Drag racing on Long Island

I got that DVD! Never really knew what went on on LI, seems few guys travelled "into the City" . SOOOOOO many guys had shops or worked in gas stations, they just did theirown work. What surprises me, is how fast the cars were for so simple a modifications compared to now. Grant it, some of the stuff wasn't exactly for the street but living so close to the action in a densely populated area simply meant you could walk to a parts store, fix the car & drive home . One of my '55s was so unreliable I regularly threw in a toolbox in the back figuring WHEN it broke I'd be prepared. One friend of mine kept blowing up his GTO so many times I think we put every type of Pontiac motor, even an OHC 6, in it---had to say the best one was a 421 he got from somewhere--seeemed to have even more torque than his 455! For all the crap we played with, I'd have to say the most reliable was my friend's Dart & John's Gremlin!