63? Maybe it's me, but a girl in a fast car with a sign like that & perhaps not too bad looking, I'd rememebr. I still remember my sister's friend who turned me onto cars. Given what I recall, if I had been her age, I'd have been going after her. Locally, back then my neighborhood had perhaps 8-10 cars that seriiously streetreced & as I recall ALL were 11-seconds or better. I recently found out (on another website) one of my favorite cars of the era was actually a COPO (ZL-1) Camaro badged as a Z/28. I could never figure out how that thing could beat a Hemi---now I know! I still rememeber the cars---'70 Hemi 'cuda, an A990 car, an L-88 'vette, my buddy's 390 Gremlin, several 396/375 Camaros & Novas & an aluminum-nosed Max-wedge car its owner always seemed to smash up every weekend--- and those were all within walking distance of my home. Like many here, I could go on about the neighborhood cars & how my friends ran our cars. But we were kind of the "lower level" of performance cars. Small-blocks, Pontiacs & the occassional Ford were more in our budget range. It wasn't until I droppeed out of college & got a job along with the gas crisis that I started playing with more serious stuff.
My first effort, a '67 427/435hp 'vette was alot of fun but expensive & when I replaced the engine with a ZL-1 spec'd big-block it was real easy to get & win races. Money races? Oh sure, there were a few but amongst our crowd it was mainly bragging rights. The Pinto was the real eye-catcher & did fairly well, as I mentioned, & it WOULD be fun to buy buy it back & go back to NY with it just to get some pics of the car & areas now versus back then. I think it'd probably be the only car that has survived.