Quote:

OK here's a Staten Island story, I moved there in 78 but all my friends and activities were still in Brooklyn. Since I worked at Murino Bros. Auto Parts on SI I met a few guys.

Whenever my friend's came to the Island and we cruised I tried to get my Boys and the new guys get along. Well so much for that.
My buddy Jimmy worked for Nunzi and got to know his way around a Pontiac cylinder head really well.
He had a 72 T/A with a mild sounding low compression 462 with the best head and all the Nunzi tricks. He came out to the Island on Sunday night and mouths start flapping and one thing leads to another.
A race is set up with Jimmy's T/A against a Brown Olds 442 that is supposed to be real fast. Mind you the 442 guy isn't even there.

The SI guys go get him but the motor is out of the car so they decide that Danny's Nova with a 454 and all the goodies will do the trick.
They drag this guy Danny out of a bar and them him what he's about to do but he says only with slicks! They want a money race and between their 4 guys they come up with $1200 but we had $1500 so we push them to find more dough.

Jimmy was good at the game and says no problem but I'm going to put a little pair of 9" sneakers on myself.

They put these monster tires on the back of this beautiful custom painted Nova and say they are ready.
Jimmy's brother shows up with the little 9" puppies and they decide the Richmond Pkwy entrance from Richmond ave toward Arden is the place due to concrete.

Both cars are driven there and they are laughing at this mild T/A since the Nova has all the goodies with it's ZL1 cam and sounding like the s&*t!

We stop what ever traffic shows up which in 1979-80 isn't much and both cars do a burnout with the Nova first and it sound awesome!
Jimmy does his and it looks just as impressive!

They start to look at each other like what da???

The race comes off and the Nova gets the jump but as the T/A's T400 hits second it's make up ground time, in fact they almost hit each other at one point.
The T/A past that mighty Nova so hard the kids father probably felt the rush!!

The burnout marks were on that pavement for like 2 years.

Afterwards they pay up but the Nova guy can't believe what happened and is ranting like crazy.

So the night finally ends but Ricky isn't done putting salt in the wound so the next day he stops at the Mobil station that Danny (Nova owner) works at and fills up his tank with regular on his way to school at Devry in NJ.

Hey no one was informed enough to find the Nitrous setup on the T/A when they looked at that little docile motor they were laughing at!!
As time went on I became good friend with most of the SI guys and fessed up about that night, they all were laughing like crazy but this time at themselves...
Ron

u should have been on the rock (staten island) in the late 60's (b4 the accident).. there would be 100cars lined up in two's on south ave... there were trailers parked on south ave under the overpass...racing all nite long...then to westons for a burger n fries... those were the days...