Okay, here is one of my loosing stories. In 1967 I had a black '62 Dodge Dart which had a 361 and auto tranny and if you read the "what did you take to the prom thread" you read that I got my girlfriend pregnant in that car but that's a different story. One of my school buddies had a '64 Plymouth Sports Fury Convert., very pretty car and he was running a 383 auto. I had just rebuilt the engine, milling the heads (yeh, that added a lot of H.P.)and putting a new AVS Carter on. He challenged me to a race and as every 17 year old "racer" knows....I wasn't about to back down. So we headed to one of our favorite racing strips, a new blacktop road in front of the Kroger warehouse on the near eastside of Indy. Late at night, no traffic and two "seasoned racers" ready to lay it on the line. We lined up, fender to fender, had the infamous countdown...3..2...1 and we both stabbed it at the same time. I think I got out just a little but he was starting to press me, as my index finger was ready to push second ( dash mounted push buttons)I noticed my oil pressure was dropping so I shut down. Bill came back and asked what was wrong and I told him I was loosing oil pressure but let's try it again. Same thing happened. As I was winding out in first the oil pressure was starting to drop so I shut it down again. What in the world was going on? After all I was a 17 year old engine builder with many, many years of experience in building these mighty Mopar engines, yeh right. I just couldn't figure it out then it hit me. When I put the engine together I filled the crankcase with straight 10W oil, not 10W30, just straight 10W oil. No wonder the pressure was dropping like a rock. I didn't tell Bill what I had done as I could tell his 383 was going to put my 361 in the loosing catagory so I just played dumb and never raced him again.

Incidentally, my new carb was stolen just a couple of nights after that race. I wonder who took it?