Losing story? Got one of those, too. I had just gotten my license & my Dad let me "fix" up his '62 Plymouth wagon. The poor thing--it was my first attempt at "body work" and suspension mods & such & to say I screwed it up is an understatement. With the traditional shackles waaaay too high , Thrush mufflers & all, it was, quite honestly, an abortion.
Anyway I'm heading over to Connecting in it & this white Catalina pulls alongside. He starts playing with me, so I drop it down a gear & start bouncing the front-end. All of a sudden I hear this roar like a cross between a Cessna & an over-revved John Deere & he's gone---I couldn't have caught him if my wreck had a JATO unit on it. I pull up alongside of him at the next light and what do I see? A small emblem on the front fender that simply reads "SD421" . The driver looks at me & grins & with the traffic light now green, I sheepishly turn off the access road we're on & head straight for home. I deserved that "spanking" but I never squared off with someone again without at least SOME intel. on their car........