Since we're talking about AMCs & streetracing-----one night John had his Gremlin out when I stumbled on him. We were on Utopia Parkway when I pulled alongside in my tubbed, SBC-powered Pinto. My car had a big solid lifter cam in it, quite a bit of compression, "fuelie" heads and a 40lb. flywheel hooked to an M21 trans in front of 4:30 gears. He had just gotten his new converter from Vitar Engr. and we were both anxious to see how our "mini-cars" (popular term back then) would do. When the light went green John jumped ahead, probably a car length or so as I let the clutch fly & went after him. Catching up wasn't a problem but keeping ahead, I have to admit, took a little bit of effort. We went through this ritual about three times as I recall, each run being about the same.
Though I did beat him, I have to admit he made a real believer out of me in regards to automatics for racing. His car was so much more consistent & easier on the driveline than mine I find it kind of hard to justify using a stick except they're so much fun......