Quote:

The "trick" as everyone knows, is finding someone that's actually good with a motor. While all engines do basically the same thing and don't know what brand they are, each one DOES have its quirks & finding someone that knows them & can work with/around them is tough. Chevys almost everywhere are the most numerous so you'll get alot of people who know about them. The other brands, fewer in number, take a little more effort & searching. BUT if you find a good, say Ford machinist, you'll probably have a good motor. Here in Phoenix, I know of 2 seperate shops I'd take a Ford motor to,depending on the engine. There's tons of Chevy guys around here so that's not an issue. But a Mopar, B-O-P? Good Luck! Hell, I even know a good AMC guy here so even that one isn't an issue.
Back then P/S was a developing class so advancements were coming by leaps & bounds so guys guarded their "secrets" closely. Today streetracing can be won or lost at the drop of a nitrous pill or a change of a blower pulley so in some ways it's easier. Back then it actually took brains & skill to win at streetracing as the majority were N/A so you had a reason to be proud & boast! Sadly that isn't the case any more......

As far the CHEVYS' are concerned with you CAN build a smallblock from 265 to 454 in increments
of one cubic inch at a time!! FYI, Sorry Chevy guys!! Couldn't resist!
Well said, H-Cop!! The saddest part of street racing, besides the MANY DANGERS and DISONESTY is
lack of comraderie amongst fellow racers. Back then
there was a CODE of ethics. Now it's dog eat dog!!
Nobody cares!! What used to be considered a sport,
art or a state of mind even, is now
a way of America's youth to practice automotive "self-expression". It's a
two-edged sword that can either harm or help.

Last edited by HYPER8oSoNic; 08/09/10 10:09 PM.

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)