I was living in Dallas in the early 80's and Forest Lane was were we cruised. The racing took place at locations around town. From time to time we had some heavy hitters, I remember a group called the ghetto boys. They mostly ran race cars with headlights. But the majority were just average street cars. My ride of choice was a 70 r/t challenger that was mini tubbed and had a cage installed by Joe Smith Race Cars. I mostly ran what I called dirt engines (built at home in my garage). I won't lie and say I was unbeatable but I probably came out on top more often then not. I remember one rich kid who had a mid 70's vette that in my eyes was pretty mild. First time we raced I ate him up and took a fifty spot from him. The second time he had installed a bigger cam and a set of angle plug heads, he still saw tail lights and lost more $. The third time around he installed a tunnel ram whil dual 660's and lost worse then the first time. Those match ups gave my car a pretty good rep as Dallas was not a mopar town. Here's a pic of my steet racer which I sold it in 1987 and bought back in 2007. The guy I bought it from told me it was the first R/T challenger in Dallas. The vin only has 3 digits and was built in the first week of aug in 1969. The car is currently being redone I hope to be prowling the streets again sometime this year.

5790519-100_0668.jpg (269 downloads)