Cleveland suburbs, Broadview Road. Sometime around 1975, I am in High School.

I had a B5 Blue '71 Duster 340...cam, head work, holley, intake, headers, shift kit in an automatic, 4:56 rear end (yes, 4:56...ran gas station to gas station, was given the third member already assembled by a friend!). Nice car.

Anyway. Driving down Broadview Road when a '70 Chevelle SS pulls up alongside me. I had never seen the car in the area before. There were three kids total in the Chevelle, I was by myself. This is around 7 in the evening.

It is warm out, windows are open. They are yelling across asking me if I want to give it a go. There are no lights immediately where we were, but traffic is lite so we stop in the middle of the road (a four lane road in the suburbs). They are in the curb lane. They count a three count and off we go. We are pretty even when BANG!!!! I can still hear the noise today. The Chevelle slows down and massive quantities of smoke starts coming out from around the hood and under the engine compartment.

They coast in to the entrance of a nearby K-Mart parking lot that we were just passing, I am watching in my rear view mirror.

I just kept going, no need to be part of their problem or explain to anyone what we were doing!

Looking back...we did this stuff a lot. There was a lot less traffic in those days. Still, I would absolutely kill my kids if they did this today!

Last edited by Kowal; 04/27/10 08:29 PM.

'69 Hemi Charger 500, ‘70 U code Challenger R/T
(These and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

P.J. O'Rouke: "The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."