Quote:

SInce no one seems to remember a story, here's one from my rookie cop days.
Central Ave.in Phoenix used to be big cruising spot--- North of McDowell Rd., the street machines cruised, South of there,you had the lowriders. One night I'm sitting near the intersection & the usual array of cars are driving past until there's a large gap in the traffic. I hear two motors revving so I look up the street & see two cars at a stoplight getting ready to go at it. The Pontiac easily jumps his opponent & wins but gets caught at the light I'm sitting at. When the light turns green for him I pull him over. The driver immediately jumps out of the car & starts shouting about how he had no brakes & couldn't control the car. I walk over, step on the brake pedal & naturally, it's just fine. I explain to him what I saw & heard & issued the appropriate citations. Another officer sitting South of my location was able to catch the other car so both received the same citations.
Now in all honesty I wouldn't have had too much of a problem with their antics but to run a race on a crowded Froday night in central Phoenixwas pushing the enverlope just a little too far. This is where tht cop discretion "thing" comes in & even the drivers didn't gripe too much about the tickets........

I usually just read these threads for laughs, but your story reminded me back in the day (70's) of one of my many run ins with the local LEO's...we had several areas where street racing was "tolerated" in the wee hours by LEO, after a regular nite out street racing with my Challenger T/A, my bud and I decided to head back to our part of town, while sitting at a light, headed towards the highway, my bud said "don't look now, but this guy on the side wants to race you BIG TIME!"...so I brought the RPM's up as the light was nearing green, dumped the clutch, nice launch, rowed through the gears, never saw a fender approaching my passenger window,...but did see a red gumball light me up! in the rear view mirror, now I wondered where that cop came from?, as I scanned the traffic behind me at the light,...so I pulled over, looked at my Bud, who was white as a ghost, and he said "Man! that was a cop on the side of you, I was just kidding you! Holy Sh1t"...I will say the cop was jerked, but after he calmed down, he said I had some big stones doing that with a marked cruiser on my passenger side at a light...if he only knew , I only got a warning, and actually a laugh out of the cop after things settled down, his partner however wasn't amused,...but I guess he was outranked?