Quote:

around..

the poncho was also running a rat...

A rat,huh? That's kinda disappointing. Seems most guys ran big Chevys or Mopars around NYC. There was a guy in Queens that had a beautiful 69/70 or so black 4-4-2 that ran a rat also. That's what I especially enjoyed about my friends Gremlin---ALL AMC! and he did win more than his fair share. Come to think of it there actually was an old Buick in my neighborhood & a couple of Fords but they were a true minority in my neighborhood---- probably 99% were Chevys

As far as my exposure and new-found respect for
AMC was after high school. I was in West Texas at the time. I owned a 72' Poncho T-37 (400 HO auto/w s-kit/2200 rpm converter and 3.73 gears). While cruising one night, I went up against
a 70' AMC Machine (390, 4sp, 4.10's).
We both jumped out at EXACTLY the same time, through first. Hit second and he pulled up a nose.
He hit third sooner than me and started pulling
away. I held on to 57-5800 and hit third and tried to keep pace to his right side door, but he
SLOWLY pulled away in fourth from me. He me by close to a car length through the marked quarter. I believe that, if I had
a bit more gear the tide would have turned. Fact
remaining, is that a 70' Machine showed me HOW
to run on a access road on I-10 in WEST TEXAS!
Come to find out he was running the factory hi-po cam! Impressive! I WAS a believer then and still today! They run!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)