Quote:

Quote:

aNYHOW, anyone have any more stories?

ok in 69 at westons on forrest ave on staten island, a bunch of 'brothers' from jersey cruise in looking for action... the car they wish to race against is a 64 lemans (forget the owners name), which is 'built'... the engine was done by a calif. shop, etc/etc... the car was an 'animal'... and the 'jersey boys' car... a 69 camaro pace car... so friday nite back and forth as the jersey boys want a 10car (handicap).. nothing doing, sat nite is down to 8 or 7...nothing doing, sunday nite its done to 5...nothing doing, then maybe at 11pm, when everyone is ready to call it a nite, the jersey boys say... ok we'll race u straight-up with our 69 chevelle... handshakes follow, the staten island crew are high-fivin (or whatever it was back then)each other.. and off we go to south ave... well the cops are there, so its off to arden ave... no cops... cars are jacked up, headers uncapped, slicks put on and ready to race...

now the lemans with uncapped headers woke up the dead, and the slicks could have been used on a funny car.... wide.... meantime the chevelle had small , maybe 10 1/2'' slicks, uncapped the car sounded ok... certainly nothing like the lemans...

they line up, flag goes down, and the chevelle must take close to a telephone pole lead... at the top end, the lemans comes on, but no way can it make up for that holeshot...

not sure how much $$$$ they raced for, but it was a large sum (for 69).. later come to find out the chevelle had a worked (very worked) zl1 alum. 427...

Now THIS is the kinda stuff I'm talking about! I'd love to know what the Pontiac was runnin, as there weren't too many serious Ponchos around. Anyone want to own up to what their combo was back then?.......
ME FIRST! .before I had my Pinto (don't laugh, see previous posts), I had a '67 big-block 'vette. Forget the original engine, it's replacement was a .060 over 427, rect. port heads, Tarantula manifold (remember those?) with a ZL-1 cam(striaght from the dealership parts dept.)a 780 Holley & Hooker Trans-Am style headers. I had it hooked to an M-21 in front of 4:56 gears. One of those weird single bar traction bars held the rear-end (sort of) & Moroso "trick" springs for a small-block 'vette held up the front-end. It didn't corner worth a damn, got God-awful mileage & speed-bumps gave me fits but when it launched it looked like the whole car was going to jump off the ground. A guy by the name of Vinny Barone did the motor for about $2,500 , which was a fair amount back then. He did an outstanding job & I think he still races in Comp Elim. now.....