Quote:

hemicop, I wasn't as clear as I should have been in my post from page 5 of this thread, my bad. All the street racing witnessed firsthand by me happened in Montgomery after I moved here.

However, here are the several pics of the street racing going on at 6th street.

The only folks/cars I can identify are Lonnie F's Anglia in pic #1, Scott S' 1969 GTX in pics 3-5, and Charlie M's 1969 Camaro in pics 7-8.

Lonnie always ran Ford small blocks in black machines. Prior to the Anglia he owned a wicked looking 1965 Falcon with wrinkle wall slicks out back/Cragar S/S all the way around. Unfortunately I have no pics of that one.

Charlie had pulled the Camaro out of a junkyard in its original non-running green/green/307 configuration and turned it into a really sweet ride dark blue with gold stripes running a stroked chevy small block/4 speed/3.73 12 bolt riding on chromed Centerlines.

Scott's GTX was an original 440/red/black/console auto car with great top end.

Great pix, they remind me of the good ol' daze of street machining, cruising and hanging out with like-minded gearheads during the mid-late-1970s to the latter part of the 1980s. My friends and my cars (plus most other cars on the street at that time) were not 100% show car restored and OEM original, perfect to the max (like today) and we didn't care! We had a blast and that is what counted.

Here's my car from Friday evening June 17th, 1988 in line for tech at Raceway Park, the one and only time I drag raced it (on the strip ).

My car was an 114,000+ mile original 440 GTX w/Torqueflite trans, 3.23-geared 8 & 3/4 rear (non-Suregrip) with power steering and manual brakes that I converted to 1968 Street Hemi power during Fall-Spring 1986-87.

The HEMI's hp and torque was transferred to the ground via a 1970 Hemi 4-speed trans from a wrecked 1970 440 GTX, and a 3.54 Dana from a 440 4-speed 1968 GTX that I parted out in 1977 on out to the L60 x 15 Pro-Trac tires (hard street compound) mounted on Centerline aluminum rims.

The HEMI engine was a standard bore Hemi from an 1968 Dodge Charger R/T Hemicar that I had bored +.020" oversize with a Sig Erson .515/.505"/276 degree duration mechanical cam. In a nutshell, it was basically a stock rebuild Street Hemi engine with 2 & 1/8" dia. Hooker Headers, electronic ignition and Direct Connection aluminum water pump housing.

It was a fun car and great street cruiser. My best time through the mufflers (no H-pipe exhaust system) was 13.78 @105.50 with tons of tire spin (2.20 60 ft. times). Not too bad a performance for a mid-90s temp, very humid Friday evening and (at that time) 250 lb. driver pulling the Hurst shifter handle.

Qwik426

P.S. I forgot to add that I installed an adjustable pinion snubber on top of the Dana center section that gave me a 'bump' each time I powershifted a gear.

P.P.S. I just remembered: I also moved the battery from the engine compartment to the trunk mainly because a section of the inner fender panel area and battery tray was eaten-through by battery acid!

Last edited by Qwik426; 06/22/10 06:24 PM.