Quote:

I love these stories. Well done Gramps & all contributors. I've read the thread from front to back & wished I was there!

It was a different time back then, a time when most of us didn't have too many responsibilities but we sure had a lot of fun and ran a lot of pretty fast cars, fast for that day as there wasn't any nitrous or turbos running the streets back then.

When my buddies parents would leave for the evening (they leased a Marathon gas station that had an extremely large lot and we had the Hertz truck and car rental agency there) we'd race the rental cars and trucks across the parking lot just to kill time and see which car was the fastest. I remember driving a '65 or '66 Cobra Mustang, black with the gold stripes, one night and almost didn't get it stopped before running into traffic on the street. The disc brakes on that thing were terrible!

The cool thing is that his parents never caught us but I'm sure they knew about it as there were 2 other gas stations on the same corner and they knew the owners very well.

We even stole parts off the Mopar rentals for our own cars. I AM NOT PROUD of that but I couldn't afford a new set of plugs and plug wires so I found a donor car....it just had a Hertz decal on it.

How bout some more racing stories guys and gals????