I seperated the Primary MAB (aka HSAB) from the Secondaries based on the dyno runs posted in A little dyno fun . The above table is mostly idle/transition circuit and primaries. It's possible that secondaries could have been cracking open at 3400 rpm or less, but I don't think they are in this particular chart.

So first lets go to the dyno runs. Below is one of the pdfs from logworks. [You can see it better in Logworks but it also shows on the Dynojet's data, see the pdfs in the Dyno thread for these.]
In this particular pair of runs, full throttle was applied just above 4000 rpm (so the transmission would not downshift). Notice the primary only run has a fairly flat AFR curve. HSAB is fine.
However the run with the secondaries has an AFR curve that goes lean to rich at the start and then trends lean. (Side note: Start is around 4000+ rpm due to the test, if you look at the tests with full throttle starting in mid 2nd gear, secondareies are partially open when 3rd gear hits.)

Since we know the primary WOT fuel curve is flat, the issue here is mostly if not all in the secondaries. Just based on the trending lean, the it would seem the secondary HSAB is too large. Further, its possible the lean then rich start of the secondaries is due to the secondary HSABs being too large.

Then, if the secondaries are starting to open on the highway (possible with a light spring or a mechanical linkage set to open early) it would show up in the table above. In my case, when running the yellow secondary spring, it looked to me like the secondary main circuit might have been effecting normal high speed (65 mph) highway driving a little bit. In my case, it was a little lean because as we can see from the WOT run, the secondaries mains are having trouble starting up. Based on the numbers, the table above is not from a light secondary spring configuration but I'd have to check my notes.

However, the heavier spring is not a solution to the secondary circuits AFR curve. Its just changing when the secondaries open, it doesn't address the curve. Once the curve is right, the opening should be seamless and then it will be easier to determine how quickly they can be brought into play and still help performance (good rsponse, more torque and power).

Bottom line is that both primary and seconday HSAB should be set based on track or dyno data.

edit: jpg rather than pdf attached. X axis (bottom) is Time, Vertical axis is RPM , AFR, and Vacuum.

Last edited by Mattax; 03/24/12 10:12 AM.