Jim,

That is a very interesting thought. Hopefully the weather will be good this weekend, and I will play with the float level and see if it has an effect on behavior.

Prior to changing the emulsion jets the AFR swings were larger than they are now. There was a .028 in the first and second bleed, and now I have a blank in the second hole which seemed to help. As you say, perhaps the fuel level is sitting right at the first bleed. On the sight glass, the fuel level is in the middle which maybe is too high.

What sort of gaskets do you use in your carb? The reason I ask is that I have wondered whether under high vacuum there is fuel being pulled from somewhere where it should not. My carb is a QFT Q-850-PV (vac secondary), and have had trouble with the blue "non-stick" gaskets that it came with. They were sticking really bad all the time, and the aluminum of the carb main body was getting some oxidation on it. The guys at QF said it was from water (apparently the gaskets dissolve with water), but I suspect it was from the E-10 fuel that we have here. I wonder if the fuel additive can carry more moisture. Any way, I now use the Buna-N rubber gaskets which don't stick and I think they seal well but there is always that concern in the back of my mind.

Thanks very much for the thought. I'll report back as soon as I can try that experiment.

Dave