Quote:
What does cubic inches have to do with horsepower? More torque, yes, but not horsepower. The heads, cam, and induction are going to dictate the horsepower capability
The cubic inches will only dictate where that peak horsepower occurs. If a larger motor makes significantly more horsepower than a smaller motor, there is a problem with the valvetrain not being stable enough to allow the smaller motor to rpm like it should. That never happens, right?

These particular motors we are discussing are not max effort race motors.
They are are hot street/strip, mild bracket type motors.
None of them is making "maximum" use of the heads, and my experience has been with that type of build, the cubes make more power.
Oem 440 4bbl motors are rated at 40 more hp than a 383 4bbl, with the same heads & cam.
Mopar Performance crate hemis are another example. The 426 and 472 are basically the same except for the stroke/cubes, with the 426 rated at 465hp and the 472 at 525hp.

I built two very similar street strip RB motors years ago, a 446 and a 493. Both had rpm heads that were prepped the same, and flowed within a couple cfm of each other.
Both had Holley sd intake manifolds with 850dp carbs. Both were tested with the same 2" hooker headers. Both had cams from the same lobe family, and both used 1.5 rockers.
Both were right about 10:1cr.
The 446 cam was 254/254-110 in at 106, the 493 cam was 250-254-112, in at 108.
Desktop dyno said the 446 would actually make more power than the 493(which is when I decided that it was pretty much worthless for determining how to build bb mopars with modest flowing std port heads).
The actual dyno had the 493 making about 45-50hp more than the 446, along with a bunch of extra TQ.

This is what I find is more typical with that type of build. The hp/ci doesn't change all that much, and more cubes just nets more horsepower.
When the hp peak is at a fairly conservative rpm, if you start higher(more torque), you end higher.

I would say the big crate engine builders(R-M, Shafiroff, etc)must agree, since the displacements just keep going up, and the hp along with it.

As always, your results may vary.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads