Originally Posted By chrisnben
Hi Guys- as some of you know I'm just about done with this 470 low deck with Trickflows (very similar to AndyF's engine) except with a Comp solid cam from Dwayne P. on a 1.6 rocker. This will be a bracket engine going in my '65 Plymouth.

My question to those who already have these heads running- what rocker arms/ratio are you running? Talking with Andy, there are not alot of available choices. I've mocked up my 1.6 "Harland" copies from Mancini Racing (which are supposed to be identical), but IMO are a tad too long of a sweep pattern starting right on center and running 1/8" on the stem where it starts to round again. Now, according to trickflow, these are the recommended ones- but maybe only in a 1.5 ratio??

I'm thinking the Hughes 1.6 might work (or maybe it's the same length??) If by chance there are a set of old Crane golds in 1.6 floating around- those might work as well (same length too??) Anyone try the PRW stainless 1.6's ??

Once we get this figured out- it's off to the Dyno shop. This set-up should be good for 650 HP/ 625 Ft.Lb. boogie

Ok, here's the deal on the Trick Flows, as far as rockers are concerned.

The Harland Sharp rockers recommended by TF, are way too long, as they are on most heads, and are even worse on the TFs, because they raised the rocker stands .100" from stock. That is a step in the right direction for better rocker geometry, but they didn't offset the stand when they raised it, which reduced the shaft-to-valve centerline by .025". That is why the shorter rockers seem to fit better, but if the shaft is relocated to properly set rocker geometry, any rocker will work.

Since you mentioned the PRW stainless rockers, I am doing a build right now with them, and just like any other roller rocker, I will have to move the shafts to the right location for that combination. You will need to do the same, regardless of the rocker chosen, if you want it to be right.

BTW, assuming a net valve lift of roughly .650", you should have less than .040" sweep across the valve when it is right. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're looking at .125"? No Bueno, Amigo!

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.