Number 18 on the list here with a little update. I spoke with Jamie this morning. He said they are slammed with work and will be working this weekend. One of the things he said is that he'll be packaging up my trans this weekend for shipment next week.

On the '70 e-body its going in, I had to pull the electric fuel pump and send it out to be rebuilt this week. I'm am hoping it will be back in time for the Mopar Alley Show coming up on June 1st at De Anza College in Cupertino, California.

Before the new trans goes in still need to pull my Street Twin clutch out, send it out to Mcleod and to have it freshened prior to being able to enjoy the 5 speed. It looks like I have a small gear oil leak at the front countershaft-to-case hole or at the input shaft somewhere on my factory trans, and it's allowed some gear oil to coat the inside of the scattershield and puts a few drips of gear oil on the ground after a couple days. The pressure plate and clutch themselves seem dry, already are 18-spline, but I'm not going to take any chances with a possibly contaminated clutch.

I'm going to end up driving the car with the 3.54's for a while before putting in 3.73's. I do need more torque multiplication in the first four gears, as I can only spin the rear 325 50R15 Nitto's half the time through second on the street with the 3,54's once they have warmed up. Every once in a while, they almost hook up in first, and that gives pretty impressive acceleration when it happens.

Dr Diff helped me figure that 3.73's will be just about perfect for my final cruise RPM in 5th at 70 mph, and give me some extra get up and go.

Like that old Hot Rod Lincoln song says, I'll be looking forward to the times I can say "....and I shook it on down into overdrive".

More to follow when the trans shows up. I'm all the way over on the left coast in San Jose, CA, so it's a pretty good truck ride from Jamie's place.

jbc426

Last edited by jbc426; 05/18/14 07:02 AM.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)