Since when does every manufacturer need to produce parts that absolutely everyone can afford? I had a $300 truck once - should I be able to buy everything needed for that truck for less than $300? It's not the manufacturer's problem that people buy inexpensive cars and then want cheap "mods" as well. This transmission is an aftermarket/non-stock piece with a pretty specific purpose. If it fits within your requirements then buy it. There are cheaper ways to get an overdrive trans - although, most all have some sort of drawback - so, if budget is your primary concern then that's part of your requirements that this trans doesn't meet. Pretty simple if you ask me.

I personally think it's a great idea. I am not a fabricator and I don't like cutting holes in my floors or modifying original parts to make something fit. I like to pull a part out of the box knowing it will fit without any hassle. My time is worth something - and so is frustration (or lack thereof). I hate not being able to drive my preferred speed on the highway because I have gears that are more fun going stoplight to stoplight. Since I drive a lot on the highway, I have to compromise and deal with horrendous performance around town.

My cars already have 18 spline transmissions in them so I don't need to buy a whole lot of extra parts for a conversion (already did it). I guess one could see that as a drawback since I could sell the original pieces to offset the cost of a different conversion. However, a 5-speed is NOT a necessity so I could choose to deal with what I have a save a lot of money. If I have the budget when I get to that point on my current project I will buy one because it's what I want and it's actually available. I may have to buy cheaper wheels I guess...

Troy