Dave,
I have been reading your post off and on going way back before the judging at the Nats. I also had a car in the 2010 judging. I knew you and your 1970 Valiant were going to be in my OE group and laid out my best effort to compete. I am satisfied with the big picture. Your car had the highest point total and won best of show. My Daytona was listed on the results as the second highest scoring OE GOLD car. You can debate a lot of things but I think the result was correct!
Now here is where things could be improved, I too had a reproduction window sticker made from the original fender tag, original broadcast sheet and original Daytona shipment list! There were no assumptions! On my sheet under documentation was
" did extremely well except for the fact it had a reproduction window sticker". Mine had no mention of a nick? This item should be the same point deduction on both cars. I would like to know what it was in points. I also had 2 original low milage date coded tires and 3 NOS tires that were a little newer than the Daytona. In fact the one we put in the trunk still had the original GOODYEAR sticker on it! It would be interesting to compare points on this particular item! Some of this would be very usefull going forward. For example to know the point total for 5 tires lets say a total of 20 or 4 a tire. Reproductions receive 3 max and used originals 3 1/2 and NOS date code originals the max at 4. That way you would know what to do as tires became available!
My glass also suffered deductions " because of condition". I purchased a reproduction windshield through your company and had the rest of the glass polished. I don't know if the windshield was too nice or if we missed a spot on one of the pieces. It would have been better to know! If I knew it was something missed in one of the pieces I would remove it and correct it. But I really don't know? I have improved a couple of things since the Nats and will continue to do so!
Congrats on the best of show!
John