Quote:

Dave,
I think youre looking too hard at the situation. without the HEMI's and SIX-PAC's thered be no reason to do the Valiant....we'd all be driving Corvettes.

Hi Dave,
I really don't have an extreme view for any of this. I just take things for what they are and go with flow. What I meant was that without the bread and butter cars there never would have been the BIG DOGS that seem to be the backbone of the hobby today. It was the opposite years ago! If you look at the production numbers, there is no way that ANY manufacturer could have been successful if they strictly relied on the sales of their specialty "Muscle Cars". In most cases, the Hemis, Boss Mustangs, Ram Air GTOs, etc.... were all loss leaders for the Car Companies. They probably didn't make a dime on ANY of those cars. It was the vehicles that had sales in the "hundreds of thousands" that allowed the funding for the FUN stuff! Hemi & 440X6 vehicles were basically built to draw attention to what was happening within the Manufacturer's specialty programs. Most couldn't afford those highly optioned vehicles so they settled for their less expensive brethren! Just to own something "related" to those cars was considered a badge of honor!