Since the show, some self proclaimed "experts" have stepped up to comment on aspects that we never thought would be an area of contention. They have claimed we did not use the correct (factory) valve cover gasket during the restoration. The pictures below show what we documented before taking the valve cover off of the engine. The "experts" claim we should have used a cork valve cover gasket. This vehicle had 9600 miles on it when the original owner (94 years old) died in 2004. They have expressed that the original "cork" gasket was replaced with an "incorrect rubber" unit. Here is what the "experts" must conclude in order for their observations to be accurate. "Who ever did the repair/replacement took the time to paint the edges and tabs of the rubber gasket just to match the paint on the engine. They then proceeded to touch up the valve cover bolts in order to make it look as if they were never removed."

Now why would anyone do this if they were replacing a valve cover gasket? Was the old Woman really concerned with her 4 door Slant Six Valiant maintaining the factory patina? Maybe the repair guy was trying to keep the car "OE correct" so he masked off the engine block and repainted the entire top side JUST so the gasket and bolts would look unmolested! (And these "experts" think I am the conspiracy theorist!) If you buy into this theory then you would have to conclude that ANY repair that involved a gasket replacement would be followed up with a repaint to hide the repair. How about the oil pan? The water pump? The timing cover? The thermostat housing? Would the service center have re-painted the gaskets after those fixes? The next thing I will be hearing is that this Valiant is a re-bodied fake with a re-stamped engine and transmission.

Anyway, take a look at the documented photos! The rubber coated wire holders have the exact same appearance (and color) as the the rubber tabs on the gasket. The PCV hose was also questioned because it didn't have "Gates" written on it. It does however still maintain the original white lettering it came with. The blue paint is visible in the end that was connected to the PCV valve. (The PCV valve had been replaced.) This is the SAME hose that we used for the restoration. Additionally, anyone can see that there is ONE thin coat of paint on the valve cover where the original paint has chipped away. The valve cover bolts still have the original paint that puddled around the washers. I also included photos of the NOS gasket kit that had the exact same rubber gasket and was a perfect match to the one we removed from the UNMOLESTED ENGINE! It is amazing the things some of the "experts" will say to cast doubt on something so straight forward and simple. Until now, I didn't realize that so many "heavy hitters" in the hobby had made it a point to research and document such mundane, low budget vehicles! ....and to think I thought our group was the first ones to research, document and restore a 4 door Slant Six Valiant to an OE level!?!