While most of the guys were using the time before the lanes opened to band-aid their cars together for one last pass or tune them up for a personal best, I was doing my usual sweep through the pits socializing and gathering info for the story! I just had to check in with the Drag Week Odd Couple to see how they survived the Firebird's off road adventure through the muck.
"There was mud in every crevice, nook, and cranny...even the interior because I had the windows down!" Mike explained, shaking his head.
"The radiator was so packed, that it started overheating in a matter of minutes", Daryl interjected, "We had to remove it from the car, and pressure wash it in order to get it functioning again!"
"I realized this morning when I finally woke up, that they were not going to let me go down the drag strip with as much mud as was still caked on it, so we spent more time at a car wash, going over every inch of it."
Daryl laughed, "looked like someone had done a clean-out on a cattle trailer when we pulled out of there!"

Mike Grandinetti's 71 Firebird finished Drag Week 2015 in 89th place among Street Machine Eliminator competitors with a 16.99-83 mph average. While not impressive numbers, consider that he drug his old high school car out of years of neglect and took it on the adventure of a lifetime, that is a major win in my book!

Daryl Yost turned the wick up on his Pro-Charged 540 for the final day, and carded an incredible 9.47-151. That pass helped him over come the bent-drive-shaft-10.62 he had to settle for in Union Grove, and he finished Drag Week 2015 with his goal of a nine second average intact, 9.97-148 for 7th place in Street Race Big Block Power Adder (tough class!)

Drag Week 2015 113.JPGDrag Week 2015 112.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines