When I bought the Valiant in 2006, the first thing I did was add an overhead electrical control panel, and a MSD Digital 6 plus. At that time, it was a pure bracket car with no passenger seat, so I laid on my back, and tucked all the new wiring under the dash. With two seats in the car, it's pretty much impossible for me to get to.
Robert, as an electrical engineer, and Aaron, as a low voltage tech (I don't even know what that means) were infinitely more qualified to chase down my current problem than I was, and more importantly they were willing!
"We can have all the major components tested over at the MSD trailer", Robert explained.
I showed Aaron how to remove the factory glove box, and lid to open more space to work with, he's half my age (and size), and twice as flexible, so it appeared as if he would have no problems getting to everything. Then the two of them started talking about a circuit that was opening up due to heat etc. and my head started hurting, so I had to walk away.
Robert took the coil off, and headed in the direction of the MSD guys.

Dale was swapping out bottles in the Gremlin, so I talked to him for a minute, and asked him what he hoped to accomplish by making another run.
"Well...it only ran 147", he shook his head, and stuck the time slip in my face, "that bottle was done on the big end...whole pass really, the second plate had no punch. It'll go eights with a fresh bottle".
"That's the quickest pass you've ever made on Drag Week, and you want more..."
"I went 9.04 last year", he cut me off, "and it's been eights plenty since then, no reason it won't do it now!"
"The 9.04 was during the Saturday shootout, not Drag Week, that time slip represents your quickest run."
"Not after this one I'm fixin' to make!" He smiled.

James and Dale headed to the lanes, as Robert returned with the coil.
"Tested out great", Robert explained to Aaron and I, "they really put it through it's paces, it was pretty cool! So this isn't the problem, we need to pull the distributor next and try it out!"
Robert looked a little flushed, and I wasn't sure if it was the brisk walk through the pits, or watching the test procedure!
I started to pull the distributor, while they discussed whether or not we need to pull the box all the way out.
"He's got quite a bit of this hard wired", Aaron explained, "and what isn't, is just butt connectors and black tape!"
Robert had a disgusted look on his face.
"It's just wiring!" I tossed my hands up, "What's the big deal?"
Now they both just glared at me like I was from another planet.

Dale left with the front end hiked on the Gremlin, then immediately hit the second plate, it dropped the front hard and smoked the tires, jumping out of the groove. He hesitated, then smacked it again, resulting in a 9.99-146. I knew if he returned to our pits, he was done, but I feared that he would drive right back up for another shot!

041.JPG039-wagons-trucks-amc-gassers-freaks-and-ratty-muscle-cars-of-drag-week-2015 - Copy.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines