Robert and I headed towards the MSD trailer, with the billet distributor in hand. I also had Dale's BB distributor, with hopes of getting a new module put in it.
"Did they say that they had a Digital 6 plus in stock?"
"Yeah", Robert nodded, "I asked about that when I brought the coil up."
"I'm thinking I should just buy it, if they are leaving at two pm, we may not have time to get the box out and get it tested."
We walked into a small enclosed trailer, with neat, white, aluminum cabinets lining both sides. The technician popped the distributor into his machine, and started turning knobs and adding rpm. The thing was actually making music as it threw out blue sparks across a board. Robert had worked his camera out of his pocket and was trying to discretely record the test, but I was starting to feel uncomfortable and awkward. Watching your buddy get all excited and short of breath like that, I felt like I was the third wheel!

Once the test was concluded, the tech determined it was fine, so I purchased the box, and gave them Dale's dizzy. They were in a hurry to load up and get on the road, so they agreed to have it ready for him when we arrived in Union Grove.

Back at the Valiant, we decided to switch the boxes. I remembered that the distributor lead snaked between the two firewalls, and there was a connection in between. I started slowly removing the inspection cover so I could fish out the wire, and disconnect it, when John walked over to see what I was doing. I explained it to him, and he jumped in to help with the job. He handed me the cover, then reached in to grab the lead wires.
"You guys can stop pulling the box out", John boomed, "I just found the problem! Billy put a butt connector splice in the distributor lead, and it pulled apart as soon as I touched it!"
Aaron raised up from where he was crouched under the dash, and Robert looked up from the door opening.
"You have to be kidding! He spliced a MSD distributor lead? They come with fancy connectors and shielding for a reason!"
All of them were looking at me like I had three eyeballs.
"It worked for eight years, and three Drag weeks..." I mumbled and shrugged my shoulders.

041 - Copy.JPG033-wagons-trucks-amc-gassers-freaks-and-ratty-muscle-cars-of-drag-week-2015 - Copy.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines