Darren, walked over and asked to see my route sheet.
"Crud!" I reached in my wallet for my time slip, "I haven't turned my time in yet, thanks for reminding me. Did you get some good rest? I didn't even see what time you made it out here".
Darren decided to stay at the motel and sleep in, since he wasn't in competition. As I've chronicled before, sleep deprivation and exhaustion have taken as many people out of Drag Week as parts failure (although the one is usually the symptom of the other).
"No!" Darren shrugged, "they kept knocking on the door to clean the room, the second or third time I was sleeping so hard, the gal came in, and started the vacuum cleaner before she realized I was still in there!"
"That was more of a corporate motel", I explained, "They were already cleaning rooms when we were leaving at nine."
"I saw Jim sleeping under his car", Darren laughed, "and they just announced that Jeff Lutz threw in the towel about fifty miles down the road bacause he was too tired to go on. At least I got more sleep than Dale and James, they are going to be dragging on the trip this afternoon".
"Yeah, Rachael too", I agreed, "Hopefully she'll let Skip drive some. Why's Tony's Javelin up on stands?"
"They've got the transmission out of it, something about the case", Darren commented.

12045350_10153624125335692_3215820172840575279_o.jpgIMAG1107_zpswjens3pz.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines