Rachael's third run of the day was a single, probably the first she's ever ran. The change in routine and the nervous jitters of the fresh bottle on board, caused her to drive through the beams before the tree activated, and she didn't get a time.

I had parked in our pit area, and was expecting her return, but she drove directly back to the lanes and was re-staging the Belvedere a scant six minutes later.

"It's almost like one of those jokes about three guys walking into a bar when you see the Gebharts going down the highway..." Hot Rod Drag Week Announcer Brian Lohnes boomed out as she staged.
I was pretty anxious to hear where he was going to take this comment, I mean this is the same guy who once introduced my Valiant with the age old line about beauty being skin deep, but ugly was to the bone!
"Because it's like a Belvedere, a Valiant, and a Gremlin are going down the highway", he continued , "and there should be a punchline, but the only punchline is, they're all really fast, and really reliable, and belong to people who love this event with all their beings..."

"Dang", I thought, "He was going completely off the cuff, and put together a wonderful compliment on the fly...that's real talent, no wonder NHRA hired him."

"We have to thank the Gebharts for putting the data together that we are using here to look at the historic numbers that have been run at Drag Week", David Freiburger followed up on Brian's comments, "they keep a list...like we have not, and they've got it nailed!"
"Yeah, absolutely, he's got it locked down", Brian added.
"It got us talking last night about how we really should put together an official record book, but who knew eleven years ago that this thing would get this big...kinda crazy!" Freiburger finished up.

I saw Rachael lift off the nitrous just past 1000ft., but judging by how hard the Belvedere left with the fresh hit, I had doubts it would make a difference. 11.30, at only 114...best ET ever for the car! Stood there shaking my head, wishing she would have just ran it out!

12006421_10153737473203938_3203500540455140695_o (2).jpg12087781_10153737444258938_7541141788912494574_o.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines