As Tony mentioned, the Great Lakes announcer soon let everyone know that Wednesday night was ladies night, and women could race for free.
"You know Darren, you've been wanting to see what the Ram R/T will run, maybe you should toss Rachael in it and find out", I was half joking, almost thinking out loud more or less, but he seemed receptive to the suggestion, and so did Rachael.
The next thing I knew, she was helping him clean all his stuff out of the truck, and preparing it for tech inspection.

"The Belvedere sounded like one of the pipes were loose on the drive back", Boone mentioned, motioning towards the Plymouth.
We hadn't been opening up the exhaust this year, so I hadn't even looked under the car to this point, "OK, I'll check it out".
He followed along with me as I retrieved my floor jack and headed towards the 67 as it sat on the paved pit road. "I saw the odd couple at that machine shop in Kenosha".
"Mike in the Firebird, and Daryl in the Chevelle? What were they doing?"
"Getting a new driveshaft built for the Chevelle", Boone explained, "the other one was bent."
"I knew he tossed it out, and had to borrow some u-joints to make his last pass, but I figured all was good when he went 10.60."
"He said it shook all the fillings out of his teeth just to get to the finish line on that run. Those two have had a heck of an adventure so far!"
I jacked up the passenger's side of the Belvedere, and noticed that only one bolt was still in the three bolt header flange. Further inspection revealed the real culprit was a missing bolt in the aft tailpipe hangar, which had allowed all the vibration to transfer forward to the flange. Aaron peeled away from helping on the Gremlin to help me replace the flange gasket, bolts, and get the rear of the pipe re-secured.
"Appreciate the help", I told him, "sorry we're stuck here babysitting Dale's Gremlin, instead of rolling towards Cordova!"
"Are you kidding?" He laughed, "where else are you going to get the experience of rebuilding a broken eight second car, so you can drive it a hundred and fifty miles in the same night? This stuff is crazy, and fun, at the same time!"
Aaron is twenty-seven, and recovers quickly, for the older guys, this was not so much fun, I walked by Robert's Black R/T a few minutes later, and he was sitting upright in the driver's seat, head back, mouth open, completely out! The long days and short sleep were taking a toll.
The satellite truck which had provided the live feed was growling it's way towards the gate, and I took a quick look around the pits...seemed like our group, and the Aussies were the only Drag Weekers left at the track by then.

IMG_20150916_124505357_HDR.jpg12036718_765236110253445_1304002149023341598_n.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines