By the third day of Drag Week, the process of unloading the stuff from the cars, setting up your pit spot, and preparing the cars for the drag strip becomes more a matter of routine, than the semi-controlled chaos it is at the start of the event. Rachael and Skippy started making piles of stuff behind both cars, while I went into my normal process of leaning on the front fender and bench racing with everyone within earshot.
John was teasing me about another late arrival, so I had to relay our story of a long supper, and lighting issues.
"We lost our lights momentarily as well", Opal added.
"Yeah", John explained, "We were on one of those two lanes, in a valley, with large trees overhead, running about forty-five, and the headlights just went out! I hit the dimmer switch a couple of times, and moved some wires around, then they came back on, but it had me worried."
"We saw a bunch of guys already driving out," I commented, "how's it going so far?"
"Well, Tony just ran the Javelin, and I'm sure he'll be back for another hit", John shrugged, "he only went 10.99".
"I wonder if that transmission they picked up is up to snuff?"
"Not sure", John answered, "but that guy we loaned the parts to in the Chevelle tossed his driveshaft out at the 1-2 shift...he was probably in the first ten sets of cars. Then ten minutes ago they announced that he was looking for a 1350 joint, as well as caps and bolts for the yoke!"

Typically on Drag Week, when a car breaks at the track, they send someone to the tower and have it announced over the PA. With the live feed in effect, and so popular, it also gets the info out not only to the competitors and spectators, but everyone watching the world over. Then you get it out on facebook and twitter, and you follow all the leads that this brings in. Often a spectator will walk up, without actually having anything you need, but they offer a phone number to an individual or shop that they think might be able to help, those second and third contacts are often the ones that gets you to what the racer needs to continue.

"Any of the big hitters ran yet", I asked.
"Not that I've noticed, but I haven't been watching every pair. They did announce that Jeffrey Lutz was done, as well as Schroeder with the nitrous Corvette, something about eating a lifter."
"Well, maybe Monte can get out of here at a decent hour tonight!"
"They said the guy in the seven second Chevette had to go home for personal reasons", Opal added.
"Good grief", I shook my head, "the Unlimited class is dwindling to nothing!"

12028718_929395100448245_2612396476903052479_o.jpg1967-plymouth-valiant-white-burnout - Copy.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines