Boone and I took the Belvedere, and drove towards the back gate to the facility. We made it through just as an employee showed up to close and lock it for the night.
"You better call Dale, and tell him to exit out the main gate", I told him.
It was around 12:30 when we arrived at the motel, and got parked. Rachael answered her phone and let us in the room. Boone volunteered to let me shower first, so I did so quickly, and was passed out in bed before I even heard him turn on the water.

Monday, Day 1 Gateway Motorsports Park

I managed to sleep until 5:15, and was actually happy to get that much in. I showered again, dressed, then woke Rachael, and found out where our other room was.
Dad opened the door on the second knock, and let me in. Dale, James, and Darren weren't moving.
"Join me for breakfast?" I asked him.
"No...I better stay here and make sure these guys get up, and around...I'll be down in a little bit!"
"There was already a loud, boisterous group of Drag Weekers making quick work of the continental breakfast, and I joined in and was finally able to procure a table. Rachael joined in a few minutes later, and basically took over waffle making duties for everyone.

Boone and I were the first ones finished, and took our bags out to the Belvedere. Collinsville, Il. is eight miles from the track, and the area we were at has 5 or 6 motels all clumped together. It was veritable hive of Drag Week activity, as DW t-shirts and cars were everywhere, preparing to assault the track.
"We might as well head out", I looked at Boone, " those guys will be along eventually."
"Agreed, we've got plenty to do, and who knows what traffic is going to be like."
We climbed in, and were about to fire up the 440 when Skippy came out of the motel and walked over to us.
"What are you guys doing?"
"We're going to leave for Gateway right now, so if you are ready, jump in", I told him.
"Ok...I'll see what Rachael wants to do", he nodded and headed back to the lobby door.
About 90 seconds after he disappeared, the 440 roared to life, I dropped the 727 into low, and we pulled the Belvedere out of the parking lot.
"I guess the next time I tell the young man 'right now', he may comprehend my meaning!"
Boone was taking in the sights, and merely chuckled in response.

Top pic: Shawn Fink 2013
Bottom pic: Shawn Fink 2015

20130908_165058.jpgdrag-week-2015-sunday-tech-inspection-246.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines