Robert and Aaron helped Rachael and I put our windshield banners on, and everyone had cycled through the process of t-shirts, then goodie bags. We were just basically standing around chatting, when John looked around and mentioned, "don't you think we should get back to our pit spots, and start getting ready for tomorrow, we still have plenty to do".
"Yeah", Dale quickly agreed, "I'd still like to get a test hit or two tonight if I can".
I groaned audibly, but kept my comments to myself as we loaded up in our cars. Secretly, I was hoping Dale wasn't serious, we had plenty to do without beating on stuff.
Aaron jumped into the passenger's seat of the Valiant, made a quick assessment, and said nothing. We made it about half way around the outside of the oval, and he finally said, "I'm not going to call my mom and tell her I'm riding with you instead of Robert. Her first question would be about seat belts, and I'd hate to be forced to lie to her!"
"It's on the list", I shrugged.
"Duly noted", he laughed.
First hurdle cleared.

Once back in the pits, the preparations started in earnest. I decided to take the alternator off the Belvedere, and put it on the Valiant, so I could be sure it was good. I put Rachael and Skippy on the Belvedere, while I started removing the one from the Valiant. The long alternator bolt wouldn't clear one of my electric fans, and the bolts on the individual fan were spinning in the bracket.
"Let's just pull the entire set of fans loose from the radiator", John suggested, as he peered into engine compartment from my right side.
"That could get ugly in a hurry", I protested, "I don't want to take the car half apart!"
"Naw, come on, it's just a couple of bolts, then we'll slide it down and get that alternator out". He started grabbing wrenches off the inner fender, and I realized he wasn't going to be run off this time.

026mopars-of-drag-week-2015 - Copy.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines