John and James were doing most of the disassembly as Dale was busy networking with locals who had leads on parts, and the people who could handle the work he needed done. It always amazes me about Drag Week, how quickly you can go from utter desperation to back on the road, due in no small part, to people who are more than willing to help keep these steel chariots rolling. America's love and romance of Hot Rods is still very much alive and well!

Rachael and Opal pulled out their small grills, and began preparing food for our little army in short order.
"Did you turn in your time slip yet?" I asked Rachael.
"Oh...yeah, I better run and do that. Let me get these brats started first!"
"Let me see your last one compared to the 11.30. How quick did you get out of the nitrous?"
She handed me both passes, "I lifted completely off the gas, right after I got off the bottle!" She smiled and shook her head, "the thing was flying, I knew it was a great pass!"
Five hundredths quicker to 60ft. (1.65), six hun at the 1/8 (7.15), and she had lifted early enough to scrub eight mph on the 11.30 pass. The numbers left me wondering what the old, wore out, 3800lb. b-body would have ran out the back door, perhaps an 11.20, or even a fifteen? I whistled, and shook my head before handing her the slips back, and in my best Forrest Gump imitation said, "440's and nitrous go together like peas and carrots!"
"Very funny Dad! But we didn't bring any veggies, unless you count the relish!"

"We've got it figured out, I think", Dale explained to me, "We found one place in Kenosha that has the parts we need, then Don's Auto Parts and Machine Shop say they can repair the guide, seat, and get the head back together". He looked longingly towards Darren's Ram as he talked about the thirty mile round trip.
"No, take the Belvedere. Someone sees you drive off with that cylinder head in Darren's truck, and they will be sending pictures to the Drag Week staff before you even hit the gate!"

051 - Copy.JPG052 - Copy.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines