Once the engine, was buttoned up, and fired off, we still had to pack away the tools, and strap down all the stuff we had borrowed from John's trailer, so it was closing in on 10:00 by the time we were ready to head out.

As our 6 vehicle caravan made our way past the waving Aussies, still surrounding their wounded purple beast, we turned onto the single exit road, and there, to our surprise, were ten to twenty spectators, stragglers and track workers, all lining the road, giving us an ovation as we crept by. It was surreal, and gratifying in the same instant. That moment will forever be imprinted in my brain, and will always remind me of that crazy, long day we spent at that fabled old track!

We had no sooner pulled out on the road in front of the facility, than the place went dark as they shut off the main lights, and I could barely make out one single pole light left on above the fuel depot where the Morano was parked!
"Wow, that was quick", Aaron laughed as he looked back over his shoulder.
"Yeah! Maybe that's why they were clapping as we drove out...it meant they could go home!"

We pulled into a QuickMart five miles down the road to gas up for the trip, both the cars, and the drivers. I grabbed a 32oz Powerade, a five hour energy, and a bag of mini Reese's cups...if that wouldn't get me 150 miles, nothing would. When I walked out to fuel up, I noticed the splits between the fuel grades were like 40 cents each so I opted for 89 octane.
"Rachael! I hope you aren't putting 91 in that car", I teased her from two rows over.
"Yeah, I am, why?"
"Did you see the price difference!"
"Not my money", she laughed.

Robert had pulled Aaron aside in the store for a discussion, and when they came out to where I was fueling the Valiant, I could tell Aaron was a little disappointed, by the look on his face.
"Billy, can you make this run by yourself?" Robert asked me.
"Yeah, no problem, I'm feeling pretty decent", I answered as I dumped the five hour energy in the Powerade. "Why, are you shot?"
"Yeah, pretty much...I think I should just take Aaron, and head straight for our motel, instead of following the route...that way I can get some rest for tomorrow."
"I agree with that plan", I told him.

Fatigue and sleep deprivation are part of the game on Drag Week, but everyone has to know their limits, and I'd much rather have someone say something than have them running off the road hours later.

20150916_204640.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines