John and I managed to get the fans removed, slid out of place, then installed the Belvedere's non-functioning alternator. Once we had the fans back on, I fired it up, and as expected, the voltmeter registered 13.5, so obviously I had something wired wrong on the Belvedere.
When I shut the small block off, John looked at me and shook his head, "That driver's side header gasket is shot!"
"Yeah, I know...the fel-pros last about a thousand miles, I bought some more, and also bought some Percy's multi-layer aluminum ones, but I haven't tried those yet."
"Well, you might as well try the Percy's, since you already know the results with the fel-pro. You are going to change it, right?"
"I've still got to figure out the Belvedere...I don't really have time..."
"I'll look at the Belvedere!", He cut me off, "you get that gasket changed!"

James walked over and started chatting at me about the fact that Dale kept running off and leaving him to try and prepare the Gremlin by himself.
"Where is he now?" I looked up at all the activity around us, we were literally surrounded by guys working at packing up trailers, or preparing to go up for some test and tune.
"That Buick guy came and got him...something about a carb problem."
"Covey? The Stage 1? He's helping the enemy?" I whistled, "he better hope Randy doesn't find out."
"He's been over there a while...I think Boone went over there too. It's the 70 GS."
"Yeah, that's him". I pointed towards our right, "I can't believe that Camaro is here, and in my class even! That thing's a legend!"
"The black 67? It's a pretty car", James agreed.
"No, no", I corrected him, "I'm talking about the winged 69 on the other side!"
"You...MoparBilly...are geeking out about a yellow 69 Camaro?" James shook his head with a chuckle.
"Not a yellow 69, THE Yellow 69! That's the CARS Camaro that Rick Dyer owned, that was one of the icons of the nineties street car racing explosion!"
"Ok, ok...I don't need a street car racing history lesson...just try and outrun him!"

DSC_0117.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines